McKenzie River Trust
Lend a Hand: Volunteer on Green Island!
Get your boots on the ground and your hands dirty volunteering with Green Island Project Manager Chris Vogel! You’ll help with tree maintenance and learn more about habitat restoration as you care for this unique site.
Abundant floodplain forest, backwater sloughs, and multiple channels of the mainstem Willamette await you. Located just below the confluence of the Willamette and McKenzie Rivers, Green Island
is the McKenzie River Trust’s largest protected property at more than 1,000 acres.
About the May 3rd Volunteer Work Party
We’ll be focusing our efforts on vegetation maintenance, specifically weeding and installation of browse protection on recently planted trees in an area where a former levee once stood for 40 years.
- This volunteer opportunity is open to all ages.
- Be prepared to walk about 1 mile on level terrain from the parking area to the work site.
- After the work party, enjoy a BYO sack lunch and the scenery on the banks of the river, or join Chris for a tour of the Island.
- You should bring: Raingear, boots, and work clothing. Sack lunch optional.
- MRT will provide: Snacks, water, tools, and gloves.
Your RSVP is required. A map and extra details will be emailed ahead of the event to all registered volunteers.