Thursday May 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM PDT
Sunday May 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM PDTAdd to Calendar
WhereSunlakes Resort or Sunlakes State Park34228 Park Lake Rd NE
Sun Lakes State Park
34875 Park Lake Road NE
Coulee City, WA 99115 Driving Directions
Family Geology Outdoor School
Spring 2013 - May 16-19
Did you know:
- The Pacific NW has a place that had a waterfall a hundred times bigger than Niagara?
- There is a spot in Central WA where a rhinoceros was entombed in lava?
- What causes spheroidal weathering, erractic, drumlins, terminal moraine? Or better yet, have you seen them yourself?
Science and history are best learned through hands-on experiences and field studies. The Pacific Northwest offers some of the best geology and environmental "lab experience" in the world. Learn how Native Americans and pioneers lived off this desolate land. Also, discover how this region played a key role in the Great Depression and World War II.
Don't miss this opportunity to help your students pique their history and science curiosity and grow their appreciation of the Creator's intelligent design and Divine Providence through this great learning adventure.
Itinerary: (order TBA but all these activities will be included)
- Driving tour to/from Western and Central WA via I-90 and Hwy 2 identifying key geological features and regional history
- Guided car caravan to see upclose and personal the unique (some only in WA) geological features (places and sites you might never know about on your own)
- A study in the power of water (geological, historically, and presently)
- History of the Columbia Basin Reclamation Project, including a school group tour of the Grand Coulee Dam
- Guest speakers and experts in the field to instruct and answer questions
- Optional hiking, boating, and other activities
- Fun learning together as a family and with other homeschooling families
Cost: $49/family if registered by 5/1; $65/family after 5/1; student attending with another family: $25/individual if registered by 5/1; $35/individual after 5/1.
Pre-trip packet: information and readings, plus pre & post trip activities for students working on science lab credit will be emailed after registration. Additional costs for lodging, state park entry, food, transportation, and personal incidentals.
- Sunlakes Resort offers cabins, RV and tent camping: 509.632. 5291 www.sunlakesparkresort.com ; identify you are with Family Academy/Academy NW (only 2 cabins left as of 3/26)
- Sunlakes State Park offers RV and tent camping: 360.902.8844 WA State Parks Sunlake
- Inn at Soap Loap Inn offers nice rooms: 509.246.1132 www.innsoaplake.com; identify you are with Family Academy/Academy NW; reservations must be made by 4/15 for group rate
To register by phone: 206.246.9227 11 am-4 pm M-Th
To register by mail, email email@example.com and request a registration form