Director of Communications, Alexandria
Jennifer K. Smith, VGC President
United Way Headquarters, Mary Gates Learning Ctr (with free Wi-Fi onsite!)
701 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Parking: Onsite parking is limited. Please carpool if possible (which also helps our environment.) Metered spaces also are available on the surrounding streets.
Hotels: Several are located blocks away from the conference locations, including a Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, and Holiday Inn.
VGC Members: $45
Attend and Join VGC: $60
9:00AM Welcome Remarks -- Bruce Johnson, Acting City Manager, Alexandria
9:30-10:45AM SESSION 1 (panel): Connecting with New Media & the Future of Journalism
- Scott Broom – Digital Journalist WUSA 9 News, CBS Affiliate Washington DC
- Tom Jackman – Reporter Washington Post, State of NOVA Blog
- Tim Windsor – Patch.com Editorial Director
- Carla Branch – Content Manager and Founder, alexandrianews.org
11:00am to Noon SESSION 2: The Next Big Thing
Peter Corbett, CEO & Founder of iStrategy Labs – Social media marketing, digital word of mouth, civic innovations, and much more. If you've thought of it, iStrategy Labs has probably done it – including work for government agencies and non-profits. They focus on work that benefits communities and their clients.
Noon - 1:00PM LUNCH
In this lunch-time session, get to know your colleagues from around the state by sharing ideas, questions, and innovations.
1:00-2:30PM SESSION 3 (panel): Government Engagement Strategies
- Tracy Viselli – Community Manager for ACTion Alexandria, which launched to help provide citizens with an online platform and tools to make community action and problem solving easier
- Erin Edgerton, Director, New Media and Strategic Communications, Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Priya Ramesh – Director, Social Media, CRT/tanaka
- Steve Lunceford – Communications Strategist for Deloitte’s Public Sector; also founder of GovTwit.com, and a co-host of Gov20Radio.com
2:30PM Closing & Final Remarks
Registration is now closed for this event.