SEMAP's Farms Forever Coordinator
UMass Extension Cranberry Station 1 State Bog Road
East Wareham, MA 02538 Driving Directions
Marketing Your Farm Business -> Increasing Your Sales
- A Five Session Workshop Series,
- Including a Create-Your-Own Website Lab (optional)
Join us for a modern take on a classic barn raising where you will come together with other growers and producers in your farming community to establish a marketing plan and website for your farm business. Just as the barn is vital to the operations of your farm, a marketing plan is vital to the success of your farm as a business. In short, improve your marketing plan and you'll improve your sales.
Who Should Attend?: Anyone interested in establishing a marketing plan or updating an existing strategy that needs some fine-tuning.
How Much Does It Cost?:
- 4 Sessions + website lab: $200.00
- SEMAP member 4 Sessions + website lab: $180.00
- 4 Sessions (no website lab): $125.00
- SEMAP member 4 Sessions (no website lab): $112.00
Session One: Blueprint of Your Barn
Tuesday, July 12th 5:30PM - 8:30PM
- What is a marketing plan?
- Overview of a successful marketing plan.
- Develop a branding concept* for your farm.
*The American Marketing Association defines a brand as a "name, term, sign, symbol or design, or a combination of them intended to identify the goods and services of one seller or group of sellers and to differentiate them from those of other sellers.
Session Two: Laying the Foundation
Tuesday, July 26th 5:30PM - 8:30PM
- Develop an overall marketing campaign for your farm - plus mini-campaigns for different seasons.
- Overview of the tools necessary to execute a profitable marketing campaign.
Session Three: Choosing the Right Tools
Tuesday, August 9th 5:30PM - 8:30PM
- How to Identify and narrow your target customers.
- Understand and decide what marketing tools (web, print, etc.) best attract customers to your farm.
Session Four: Framing it Out (prerequisite for web lab)
Tuesday, August 16th 5:30PM - 8:30PM
- First step to creating a website is building the framework, even if you plan to hand the task over to a professional they ask you to provide this first step.
- Learn how to plan and create the framework for your farms website.
- Discuss organizing information, content, and other possible features.
- Walk away with a wireframe for your site, this is the planning part of your website not the building piece learn that in the lab.
Session Five: Putting on the Cupola (web lab - optional)
Saturday, August 20th 9AM - 3PM
- Intensive 6-hour session, teaching you the basics of creating a WordPress site for your farm business.
- Use the wireframe that you created in the last session.
- Learn the basics of WordPress and update information whenever you want.
- Need to bring laptop – If you do not own your own laptop a limited number will be available on a first come first serve basis.
*All sessions will be interactive and involve some group work so that you can immediately begin to apply tools learned in class to your farm.*