ContactKathy Kildea, Market Central Programs Coordinator
Market Central, Inc.
WhereThe Haven at First and Market (Sanctuary) 112 West Market Street
Charlottesville,, VA 22902 Driving Directions
New to the idea of swapping?
Well, we are, too!
We've been gathering information from other successful swap groups across the country, and are intrigued by the idea of our community members being brought together to socialize around food. We invite you to read a little about their experiences here:
We're going to consider holding these on a regular basis, with the swaps open to ALL homemade foods & drinks. Interested?
Canner's Celebratory SWAP
We'd like to invite YOU to come and celebrate the 2011 growing and canning season with a Canner's SWAP!
We'll be updating this homepage as details develop, but by registering, we'll have your contact information to send out a final announcement as we get closer to the date. We promise not to clog up your inbox with email, and we won't use your email address for any other purpose.
Here are the basics, with more information to follow:
- Save the date, Sunday, September 25th, 4-6 pm at the Haven Sanctuary in Charlottesville
- Set aside a few jars from your canning stash for an old-fashioned swap. (The more you bring, the more you'll take home!) Most items will swap jar for jar, but the agreement to swap is entirely up to you. All jars should be clearly labeled with contents, and we're sure that folks will ask for recipes, so if you have a chance to write those down, that'd be swell! We'd also ask that you bring one extra jar for sampling. (We'll supply bread, crackers, and spoons for sampling, but if you think that jam really needs fresh baked scones, you're welcome to bring those too! :-) And if you'd like to download some free labels and recipe cards, find them here.
- If you want to enter your prized recipe to our Blue Ribbon panel -- you just might win a cool prize: $50 in market tokens! You'll be asked on the registration page to tell us what you'll be entering, but if you decide later to enter, please just email us to let us know.
- We'll have plans for food & music -- it's a party, y'all.
- This event is free... and open to all who'd like to come. If you don't can, that's alright -- just come and join in the sampling and celebration. Besides, maybe we'll convince you to try it next year! When you register, please let us know how many people will be coming with you.
The Haven has been a wonderful host for three of Market Central's canning classes this summer. Market Central was the recipient of a grant from the Ball Canning jar company and the Farmers Market Coalition to bring canning education to the Charlottesville City Market community this summer, and we couldn't have done it without the use of the beautiful kitchen at The Haven. A suggested $5 donation can be made to Kay's Kitchen at the Haven at the Swap!
And if you missed any of the canning action this summer, you'll find all the video evidence HERE!
Want to read the blog that inspired this event? Check it out here -- doesn't it sound like FUN?!?