WhenMonday February 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM MST
Tuesday February 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM MSTAdd to Calendar
Embassy Suites Denver Downtown Accommodations
1420 Stout Street
Denver, CO 80202
A special group rate of $179 per night plus tax has been secured at the Embassy Suites Hotel Denver Downtown, 1420 Stout St., Denver, CO 80202. Call 303.592.1000 for reservations or visit their website. Be sure to mention McREL to receive the discounted rate. Please note that this rate is subject to availability.Ground Transportation
Hotel staff recommend using Super Shuttle or taxi from Denver International Airport to the hotel (approximately 27 miles).
WHAT WOULD OUR SCHOOLS LOOK LIKE
IF WE TREATED EVERY STUDENT FAILURE AS A CATASTROPHIC EVENT?
Join leading-edge educators, policymakers, researchers, and business leaders from across the nation and the Pacific region at McREL’s Summit for Innovative Education to examine the principles and practices of high performing, high reliability organizations----in education and business----and how they are being applied in districts and schools to accelerate improvement, drive innovation, and close gaps in achievement.
Explore and learn:
- The remarkably consistent pathways top-performing systems follow to rise from poor to good, good to great, and great to excellent. Although every education system faces its own unique challenges, consistent patterns emerge in the stories of those which have demonstrated rapid improvements in student outcomes. Learn how schools or districts can follow—and benchmark themselves against—these proven improvement pathways.
- Practical, how-to strategies for raising student performance, wherever schools or districts are currently on the improvement trajectory. Hear and learn from real-life stories of districts and systems that laid critical foundations for success in curriculum, instruction, and student supports—and built upon those foundations to deliver world-class results. Get tools and resources that will help your districts and schools achieve the same successes.
- Strategies for moving schools or districts to the cutting-edge of innovation. Top-performing schools, districts and industries don’t just implement the ideas of others, they develop new innovations every day. Take home a simple, short-cycle innovation process that cutting-edge organizations in many industries—from healthcare to information technologies—use to build on what works, while continually improving performance and developing new, innovative approaches.
Who should attend?
- Leadership teams from schools, districts, state education departments, and regional education service agencies.
- Education policy makers and board members (local and state).
- Business leaders who are invested and involved with improving education and developing partnerships.
- Special strands will be offered for policy-makers, school board members, chief state school officers, DOEs, and community and business leaders.
- Dr. Tom Bellamy - professor of education at the University of Washington-Bothell, and the founding director of the Goodlad Institute for Educational Renewal
- Ken DeLay - executive director of the Colorado Association of School Boards
- Dr. Jason Glass - director of the Iowa Department of Education
- Dr. Eric Hanushek - economist, education analyst, and senior fellow at the Hoover Institution of Stanford University, whose research comparing U.S. and international student performance data was featured in Waiting for Superman
- Jim Kohlmoos - CEO of the National Association of State Boards of Education
- Dr. Bryan Setser - founder of the North Carolina Virtual School and 2Revolutions
- Dr. Yong Zhao - presidential chair and associate dean for Global Education at the University of Oregon's College of Education, and author of Catching Up or Leading the Way
- plus McREL CEO Dr. Tim Waters, senior director Jim Eck, and vice president Bryan Goodwin
Tuition: $695/person, $645/person group rate
View the Agenda
This event is supported by: