Pramodita "Dita" Sharma, Sanders Professor, School of Business Administration @ UVM
Daniel G. Van Der Vliet, Director, Family Business Initiative @ UVM
are organizing the first
GLOBAL FAMILY ENTERPRISE CASE COMPETITION
An annual competition for Undergraduate & Graduate students enrolled in universities and colleges with the world’s finest family business programs.
The competition for the UVM Family Enterprise Cup
will be held in Burlington, VT, USA
JANUARY 9 – 13, 2013
TO PARTICIPATE, please send an immediate expression of interest via email to
Teams will also need to pre-register by 30 MAY 2012 to secure their spot using the registration link below.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Undergraduate and graduate students who will be enrolled in a university or college at the time of the competition (Jan. 2013) are eligible to participate.
- Each team will consist of 4 student members (including one alternate) and at least one coach.
- Teams can have a mix of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Only ONE team per university will be allowed.
- The winning team receives the UVM Family Enterprise Cup and $2500.
- The division winners receive $1000 per team.
- Each winner of the UVM Family Enterprise Case Writing Competition will receive $2000.
- Based upon number of entrants, teams will be assigned by random draw into divisions.
- Each team will compete against all other teams in their division accumulating points to determine the division winner.
- Division winners will advance to the finals round, consisting of 1-2 additional cases.
- Cases will be judged by a panel of judges representing experts from industry, business and academia. Judges will be entrepreneurial leaders who are well versed with the unique dynamics of family enterprises.
- The organizing committee will select the judges.
- Presentations must be in English.
CASE PREPARATION TIME FOR THE TEAMS
- Each team will analyze and present at least three cases to a panel of judges.
- Preliminary case – supplied (two weeks) ahead of time, first presentation upon arrival.
- Preparation time / final round cases
- Standard case – 3 hours
- Short case – 1.5 hours
Each team will have 20 minutes to present their case analysis and recommendations.
This will be followed by 10 minutes of Q&A by the judging panel.
WHERE WILL THE CASES COME FROM?
The cases will be selected based on top entries in the annual Family Enterprise Case Writing Competition organized by UVMs School of Business Administration.
Team registration cost: $1000 USD
- Pre-registration due by 30 May 2012 $250 USD
- Full registration due by 15 October 2012 $750 USD
Participating teams will pay for their travel and lodging.
Hotel rooms have been secured at the Hilton Burlington at $115 USD (for single or double occupancy).
Meals and activities will be provided for competing teams by the host during the competition.
*Some free time for the teams may not have meals included.