WhenThursday April 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM PDT
Thursday May 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM PDTAdd to my calendar
WhereConference Room of Councilman Joe Buscaino 10211 South Compton Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90002 Driving Directions
NAMI Urban Los Angeles - Children's Institute Inc.
What are the goals of the NAMI Basics program?
- To give the parent/caregiver the basic information necessary to take the best care possible of their child, their family, and themself.
- To help the parent/caregiver cope with the impact that mental illness has on the child living with the illness and the entire family.
- To provide tools for the parent/caregiver to use even after completing the program that will assist in making the best decisions possible for the care of the child.
What does the course include?
- Introduction to the stages of emotional reactions of the family to the mental illness; including crisis, shock, denial, grief and acceptance.
- Insights into understanding of the lived experience of the child living with the mental illness, including learning to separate the child you love from the illness that alters their behavior and abilities
- Current information about Attention Deficit Disorder, Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Childhood Schizophrenia and Substance Abuse Disorders
- Current research related to the biology of mental illness and the evidence-based, most effective treatment strategies available, including medications used to treat mental illness in children and adolescents
- Specific workshops to learn problem solving, listening and communication skills
- Examples of strategies that have been found helpful in handling challenging behaviors in children and adolescents
- Information about the systems that are major players in the lives of children and adolescents with mental illness – the school system and the mental health system
- Exposure to personal record keeping systems that have proven to be effective for parents/caregivers in their interactions with the school and healthcare systems
- Information on planning for crisis management and relapse
- Information on locating appropriate supports and services within the community to build a community of support for the parent/caregiver
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services, with an emphasis on personal advocates for the parent/caregiver and child on an individual level
Ask the Doctor
As part of the NAMI Basics Education Program curriculum development, NAMI’s Medical Director, Dr. Ken Duckworth, answers a few of the most commonly asked questions by parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents with mental illness. View the video's!