Art Project Overview
Obsidian Arts invites you and your organization to join the Minneapolis-Saint Paul community in its effort to break the Guinness World Record for the Longest Soul Train Line. On Saturday July 28, 2012 we will take over a five-block stretch of West Broadway Avenue for this purpose.
Part public art project, part community gathering this record attempt seeks to bring 1000 people together to pay homage to the Soul Train Line - a particularly vibrant cultural artifact from the African American tradition.
We invite and encourage you to bring your skates, your Soul Train era gear, and your soulful attitude to this community positive art and culture project.
On-site registration accepted until 4:30 p.m.
2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Registration at the grass lot across from the YMCA on Broadway at Knox Avenue North. Pick up dance number and bottle of water.
2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Artists create Soul Train Line inspired artwork.
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Warm up activities including double Dutch, Hula Hoop, and the Soul Train Scrabble.
5:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. - Line Up
5:30 p.m. - Soul Train Line starts with music provided by KMOJ Radio
7:00 p.m. - Soul Train Line concludes with a celebration at the KMOJ Radio/FLOW Art Crawl Stage at Logan and West Broadway. Dancers sign event commemorative poster and pick up t-shirt (if registered before July 17th).
1. Registrations accepted unitl 4:30 p.m. July 28, 2012 on-site only.
2. Be mindful of any health conditions that might effect your participation as each dancer will dance along a 5 block stretch of Broadway Avenue.
3. Health professional will be on-site
4. Children 10 and older are welcome to participate
5. This is an official attempt to break the record. As such, dancers must participate from beginning to the end.
8. There is no cost to participate.
9. Please help us spread the word and get more dancers.
Call Obsidian Arts 612-787-3644 or contact Frangena Johnson at 612-386-5211 with any questions or concerns.