University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
1000 Hilltop Circle
University Center, 3rd floor
Baltimore, MD 21250
Follow campus directional signs to park in Parking Lot 22 (only). Walk across Hilltop Circle to the University Center, 3rd Floor Conference Center.
Our Plenary Keynote Speaker
Barry Anderson, Deputy Director, National Governors Association, will discuss the impact of Congressional budget negotiations on federal grant funds and in turn, the impact on state, local governments and non-profits. The temporary Continuing Resolution (CR) now in effect is scheduled to lapse on March 26, 2013. Anderson will be closely involved in real-time developments to stave off another fiscal cliff during the week of the Governor's Grants Conference. We couldn't offer you a fresher, more relevant 'insider' source of information!
A self-described "old-time budgeteer," Anderson has worked for the last 30 years as a top fiscal policy official at the Congressional Budget Office, the General Accounting Office and the White House.
Governor's Grants Office
SORRY - THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
Governor's Grants Conference 2013
Want to increase your 'grantability' this year? Are you keeping up to date on the fast-paced changes in delivery and rules of engagement regarding grants?
Attend the Maryland Governor's Grants Conference Office on the beautiful UMBC campus on March 21, 2013.
Join experts from federal agencies, the state and foundation worlds, as well as hundreds of your colleagues to hear about the latest trends in grants management that definitely will impact your organization. CPEs are offered. Breakfast, lunch and parking are included in the registration price. We're getting close to selling out, so we've decided to extend the Early Bird rate of just $89 through March 3rd, and then the regular rate of $99 will start March 4th until registration closes.
Take a look at the agenda and choose your breakouts when you register. (The agenda is subject to change as we add speakers):
8:00-9:00 AM: Registration/Breakfast
- Welcome Remarks, Lt. Governor Anthony Brown (invited), Eric Brenner, Director, Governor's Grants Office.
- Keynote by Barry Anderson, Deputy Director, National Governors Association.
- Office of Management and Budget and Federal Funders Update panel:
Moderator: Marcia Howard, Federal Funds Information for States (FFIS):
Panelists: Dana Bourne, Acting Director, Grant Operations, FEMA
Lisa Lewis, Director, Grants Management, Office of the National
Coordinator for Health Information Technology, US Dept Health and Human Services
Kristen Mahoney, Deputy Director for Policy, U.S. Department of Justice
William Ramos, Director of Intergovernmental Affairs, US Department of Commerce
Gil Tran, Senior Technical Manager, Office of Management and Budget
Michael Yudin, Assistant Secretary, US Dept of Education
Gregg Brown, Dep. National Response Manager, US Department of Transportation
Concurrent Morning Workshops:
- Session 1: Is your organization in compliance with OMB Guidance? Gil Tran,
U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- Session 2: How To Successfully Navigate the Single Audit Process. Graylin Smith, SB and Company, and Laura Hansen Rainey, National Science Foundation
- Session 3: Federal Funders Up Close and Personal! Q&A session (with panelists
LUNCH and Networking Session with members of the State Grants Team. Talk one-on-one with representatives from 17 Maryland agencies about their grant programs, or simply ask for advice.
First Round of Concurrent Afternoon Workshops:
- Session 1: The Ins and Outs of Federal Audits: Rich Rasa, U.S. Department of Education, and John Short, Grant Thornton.
- Session 2: What is Measured is Done. Performance Measures: Beth Blauer, GovStat Director, Socrata
- Session 3: From the Source: Private Grantors speak about their policies and their grantmaking.
Moderator: Debbie DiVirgilio, Grant Professionals Association
Panelists: Kevin Griffin Moreno, Baltimore Community Foundation
Erica Joseph, Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore
Tami Zavislan, Community Foundation of Harford County
Lynn Hrdlick, BGE Foudnation
Robin Platts, Dresher Foundation
Rosimar Melendez, Horizon Foundation
Marci Hunn, Weinberg Foundation
Maria Harris Tilden, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield corporate giving program
Second Round of Concurrent Afternoon Sessions:
- Session 1: How Legislative Audits can help your organization: Matthew Street and Brian Tanen, managers in the Fiscal Compliance Audit Division, Office of Legislative Services (OLA), and Joan Peacock, Audit manager, Maryland Department of Budget Management (DBM).
- Session 2: Association of Government Accountants presents new (free) products! The fraud toolkit, grants managment hiring toolkit, and citizen-centric reports.
- Session 3: Private Grantors Up Close and Personal! Q&A (with panelists from earlier session.)
3:50 P.M. CONFERENCE CONCLUDES.*
*At the conclusion of the conference, attendees representing grants offices in other states will have an informal meeting, including federal officials, to discuss overlapping issues relevant to their respective offices. All conference attendees are welcome to observe.
Register Now! Important note about payment policy: Registration will automatically close when we are sold out or on March 19. When you register, you will have the option to pay online with a credit card (PayPal) or by check. Checks must be received by March 17. Your registration is not complete until we have received payment in full. Sorry, we cannot accept checks at the door. As always, registrations are not refundable but are fully transferable.