Rockville Women's Business Center
WhereExecutive Office Building (EOB) 101 Monroe Street
Rockville, MD 20850 Driving Directions
Hiring Your First Employee: Best Practices in Human Resources Recruitment, Compliance and Management
Are you thinking about hiring additional help?
Could you use a refresher on the laws and best practices around human resources?
Our panel of experts in Human Resources will discuss your options for hiring your first employee as an independent contractor, virtual assistant or part-time, temporary, or full-time employee.
They will also introduce you to strategies that will help simplify your many obligations as an employer and review the legal do's and don'ts of recruiting, interviewing, hiring and terminations, to help you stay out of hot water from the start!
Specific topics include:
- Major laws that employers must follow
- What FLSA and I-9s mean to you
- Independent Contractors v. Employees…which way to go?
- Recruiting tools and advertising options
- Hiring and Interviewing: Do’s and Don’ts
- Easing in to full-time: Temps, Part-time, Interns, and Virtual Assistants
- Tax credits and incentives available through Montgomery Works
- Managing your HR System
- Employee Manuals: When do I need one and how do I get one?
- Staying compliant with payroll and taxes
- Benefits options and management
- Meredith Campbell, Attorney, Shulman Rogers
- Celia Delgado, CEO, Biztant Virtual Assistance
- Jody Friend, President, JLM HR Consulting, LLC
- Paul Love, President, Foster, Soltoff & Love, Ltd.
- Michael Weiner, Account Executive, Payce Payroll
Sponsored by: Montgomery County Department of Economic Development
Location: Montgomery County Executive Office Building, Auditorium, 101 Monroe Street, Rockvlle, MD
Fee: $40 Continental breakfast included