SCORE Entrepreneur Center, Downtown
SCORE San Diego
550 West C Street
San Diego, CA 92101
SCORE San Diego
Insurance - How to Protect Yourself and Your Business 1-22-13
Every business has certain risks related to its operation. Subsequently, to protect the business and personal assets, insurance coverage is critical. Knowing what type of insurance is required, how much insurance is appropriate, and how to obtain that insurance for your business are the questions this workshop will address.
Get Answers from an Expert on these Important Issues:
- How do I get the most out of my insurance dollar?
- What insurance is an absolute must to avoid great risk to my business?
- How do I value my buildings and personal property?
- How will damage to my property affect my revenue and profit?
- What about using my own car or employees' cars in business?
- What are the issues if I use subcontractors?
- How do I evaluate the insurance indemnity provisions of contracts?
- Should I use an insurance agent or broker? How do I find one?
- Which Employee Benefits (life, health, 401k) should I consider?
- Should I consider Disability Insurance? Buy/Sell? HSAs?
$49 Early / $59 after 1/20/13
SCORE Counselor, retired at the end of 2006 after almost 36 years with John Burnham Insurance Services, one of the top 100 independent insurance brokers (out of some 40,000) in the country and a top-five insurance broker in San Diego.
As Executive Vice President/Principal, Bill directed the insurance and risk management service programs for major, corporate clients. Bill was also Burnham's Chief Financial Officer for ten years and member of the board, where his duties also included acquiring several insurance agencies. After becoming an owner of Burnham in 1984 and ultimately its largest individual shareholder, Bill directed the acquisition of Burnham by Union Bank of California in December, 2002. Bill was a key member of the team that integrated Burnham and two other large, California insurance brokers into the bank's insurance operations and served as interim CFO of the combined operation.
Bill holds the professional designations Certified Insurance Counselor and Certified Risk Manager and is an expert in program and coverage design for corporate buyers. After graduating from Arizona State University with a B.S. degree in Accountancy, Bill began his insurance career with Royal Insurance Company in Los Angeles in 1968, before joining Burnham in 1971. Upon retirement from Burnham, Bill became an independent insurance consultant.
Throughout his career, Bill has been active in the communities where he has worked. He is a past member of the Newport Harbor Art Museum and Industrial League of Orange County, as well as past member and president of the Gaslamp Quarter Historical Foundation. Bill is currently chairman of the local division of the March of Dimes, where he has been a board member for over 18 years.