Homer, Alaska - Kachemak Bay Homer Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center
201 Sterling Highway
Homer, AK 99603 Driving Directions
Homer Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center
201 Sterling Hwy. Homer AK 99603
Summary of Equipment Requirements
- Operators must carry a properly sized, serviceable USCG approved PFD (personal flotation device) for each person on board.
- All persons under 13 years of age must wear a properly sized, serviceable USCG approved PFD while on board.
- All boats, 16 feet and greater in length, must carry a USCG approved throwable flotation device (type 4 seat cushion or ring) on board the boat.
- All boats must carry sound producing devices and visual distress signals. (Minimum of 3 flares for day and night time; must be serviceable, not expired, and accessible.)
- Boats with gasoline engines and with closed construction or permanently installed fuel tanks must carry the following USCG approved, portable extinguisher: boat less than 26 feet - one B-1 extinguisher; vessels 26 to 40 feet - two B-1 extinguishers or one B-11 extinguisher; vessels 40 to 65 feet - three B-1 extinguishers or one B-1 and one B-11 extinguishers.
- All boats equipped with gasoline engines and machinery must be equipped with ventilation and backfire flame arresters of the type required by USCG.
- All vessels operating from sunset to sunrise must carry and display the number and type of lights required by the USCG.
The above list of equipment requirements are listed as a convenience to tournament participants and not intended as a final authority. For a complete copy of Alaska's Boating Safety Law, contact:
Office of Boating Safety
550 W. 7th Ave, Suite 1380
Anchorage, AK 99501-3561
(907) 269-8907 Fax
email to: Jeff.Johnson@alaska.gov
For a detailed explanation of all regulations and licensing procedures, contact the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
Fish & Game Regulations:
License and Permit Information:
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
P.O. Box 115525
Juneau, AK 99811-5525
Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament
Come Join us for the 20th Annual Winter King Salmon Tournament
We invite you to join in the fun at Homer's 20th Annual Winter King Salmon Tournament to be held on Saturday, March 23, 2013! Anglers from all over Alaska and other states come to fight for that winning salmon in this one day fishing extravaganza. The average year sees over 900 serious fishermen participating in this event, with our peak so far reaching 1072 anglers! Last year there were 132 boats participating in this GREAT day of FUN, with the overwhelming participation of so many businesses and anglers.
A special part of the tournament is the merchandise prize give-away that takes place every five minutes over the VHF radio. Every angler in the tournament is automatically entered into this random drawing. Anglers look forward to the sound of the ship's bell on the radio which alerts them to the next drawing, giving many anglers their five minutes of fame. It means you do not even have to catch a fish in this tournament to win a prize!
1. Alaska State Rules - All anglers must have a 2013 Alaska Department of Fish and Game fishing license and a valid King Salmon Stamp. All anglers must comply with all Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game regulations. Accusations of ADF&G rule violations must be reported directly to the Alaska State Troopers at (907) 235-8239. Safety equipment must be in compliance with Coast Guard regulations.
2. Registration - A representative from each boat must check in with Tournament Headquarters on the day of the tournament prior to leaving the harbor to have your vessel # assigned. ALL VESSELS MUST HAVE A NUMBER ASSIGNED FROM TOURNAMENT HEADQUARTERS. Headquarters on Saturday is located at Coal Point Trading on the Homer Spit and will open at 7:00 am (907-235-3877). All anglers must have completed a tournament entry form prior to fishing. The Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center reserves the right to photograph all entrants, reproduce any photographs for publicity and retain all photo rights.
3. Communication - All participating boats must have a VHF radio or cell phone aboard. A representative from each boat must check in by boat number by 6:00 pm at Tournament Headquarters (907-235-3877) or on VHF #69 upon safe return into the harbor.
4. Boundary – The North boundary is the Coast Guard marker light at Anchor Point extending offshore on a line at 59°46’142 North to the west boundary at 152°00’00” West which runs south to a line at 59°25’00” North which runs east to point south of Point Pogibshi (see map included with the official entry form).
5. Fishing - One (1) rod per angler. Fishing lines in at 9:00 am for all boats. Lines out at 4:00 pm for all boats. All salmon landed must be reported to Tournament Headquarters on VHF #69 or cell phone at time of landing. (boat name, angler, time, etc.). All individuals on a boat that is participating in the Tournament must be registered in the Tournament. The Boat Captain and a deck hand do not need to be registered in the Tournament UNLESS they are planning on fishing in the Tournament.
6. Weigh In - All fish must be weighed in by the registered angler at Tournament Headquarters by 6:00 pm. Anglers must call tournament headquarters in advance to arrange for fish to be weighed in before 2:00 PM. No live fish will be accepted as an entry. Top ten qualifying fish must be gutted and plugged at Coal Point Trading.
7. Prizes - All entries and prize awards are subject to review and final determination by the Tournament Committee. All prizes may be subject to IRS withholding. Prize money will be awarded upon final results being approved by the Committee. In order to receive prize money, entrant must first execute a standard declaration and release form confirming compliance with the Tournament Rules. All contestants by entering into the tournament are subject to testing by lie detection apparatus at the discretion of Tournament Committee and refusal to take such test will result in automatic disqualification. Decisions by Tournament Committee will be final and binding.
8. Violations – All complaints of rule violations must be submitted in writing within 24 hours of the end of fishing. Prize money will be awarded upon final results being approved by the Committee. Vessels and anglers repeatedly violating tournament and state rules in the intent to win the tournament may be banned from entering in future tournaments sponsored by the Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center.
9. Weather - In case of bad weather, the Tournament will be postponed until Sunday, March 24. In case of bad weather on Sunday, March 24, the Tournament will be postponed until Saturday, March 30. In case of questionable weather prior to start of fishing, the Tournament Officials will assess the conditions every thirty minutes, with the final decision for the day being made prior to 10 am.
10. Cancellation Policy - No refunds will be given for tournament entry after the start of fishing unless the tournament is canceled or postponed. If the tournament is postponed before 10 am the day of the tournament, full entry fee will be refunded or applied to postponed date. All anglers registered in the tournament at time of cancellation must notify tournament officials before the start of the postponed day’s tournament if they plan to withdraw. All entry fees will be applied to the postponed day’s tournament unless the angler withdraws prior to the start of the postponed tournament. If the tournament is postponed/canceled after fishing has begun, all fish weighed will be officially entered as tournament fish for the postponed day’s tournament. All entry fees will be applied to the postponed day’s tournament unless the angler withdraws his/her entry from tournament officials. No refunds will be issued to anglers who have entered fish. Refunds will be given to those not wanting to participate on the postponed day only if the request is received prior to start of fishing. All refunds will be mailed to entrants within 10 days of cancellation date.Detailed explanation of “Regulation and Safety Guidelines” is available online or at the Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center.