Annual Alzheimer's Education Seminar
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
This seminar will have two sessions with presentations by different speakers. Feel free to register for one or both sessions.
The seminar is FREE and open to the public, courtesy of the Jake and Mary Essen Alzheimer's Education Fund and CentraCare Health Foundation.
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Betsy Horsch, CTRS, CVP, Director of Therapeutic Recreation, St. Benedict Senior Community
- Jessica Harstad, CVP, Validation Coordinator, St Benedict Senior Community
- Define validation and its core principles and goals and describe the four phases of resolution.
- Learn techniques to use with disoriented elders when exhibiting "difficult behaviors".
- Identify skills to become an empathetic listener.
- Learn ways to build a trusting relationship.
Alzheimer's Drug Research
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m
- Dr. William Frey II, Senior Director of Alzheimer's Research Center
- Learn how non-invasive intranasal delivery is changing the way we treat brain disorders and about how problems delivering drugs to the brain have impeded the development of treatments for Alzheimer's disease (AD) and other brain disorders.
- Learn the major risk factors for AD and how we can reduce our risk.
- Learn how our own adult stem cells and our other therapeutic cells may be used in the future to treat Parkinson's, stroke, MS, AD and other brain disorders.
- Pros and cons of supplements such as omega-3-fatty acids, vitamin D and iron and insulin deficiency can affect the patient.
Call the St. Cloud Hospital Education Department to register.