Now more than any other time in our history, cancer survivors are living well-beyond their diagnosis. The Keep On Dancing Cancer Survivorship conference features multi-track workshops that teach survivors how to get back to the business of living life after cancer.
Now in its fifth year, the annual Keep on Dancing Cancer Survivorship Conference, as the name suggests, empowers survivors and their network with tools to support them as they thrive beyond the cancer diagnosis. The Rio Grande Cancer Foundation is proud to offer this informative and entertaining event which approaches the cancer experience from a holistic approach to healing. Our participants learn not only about medicine and clinical care issues, but about emotional and spiritual therapy, too. It is widely known that patients who keep informed about their disease have more sense of control and are empowered to make better decisions.
There are over 13 million people in the United States living beyond cancer. Because of greater awareness, early detection and advances in cancer treatment, survival rates are on the rise and the message to cancer patients is one of hope.
This year’s program will include sessions designed to help you fully live and love your life beyond cancer. We hope you will join us and keep fighting, keep positive, and keep on!
7:00am - 8:30am Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30am - 10:00am Welcome and Keynote Speech
Eva Grayzel: "Tongue-Tied: A Story NOT silenced by Oral Cancer"
10:15am - 11:30am Workshop Sessions 1
1.Maintaining Good Bone Health; Martha Vera BS, MS, CDT
2. Becoming Inspired to Exercise for Mind, Body and Spirit; Kathy Poteet, MS
3. Toward the Survivorship Plan: What Every Cancer Survivor Must Know; Maureen Henry, PhD
4. New Trends in Breast Cancer Reconstruction; Marco Antonio Gonzalez, PhD
12:00pm to 1:00pm Networking Lunch
1:00pm - 2:15pm Workshop Sessions 2
1.Managing Pain: Panel Discussion; Anthony Hyung Han, Carlos Viesca, Patrick Brandon & Kathrin Pettit
2. Post-Breast Cancer Treatment: Hormonal Related Issues and Effects on Survivors; Zeina Nahleh, MD
3. Spending Your Creative Energy; Janine Rudnick
4. Fight or Flight: Understanding your Adrenaline System; Brad Bryan, PhD
2:30pm - 3:45pm Workshop Sessions 3
1.Reduce Your Stress with Tai Chi; Ray Abeyta
2. Yoga for the Cancer Patient; Ryan Prieto & Erin Stroud
3. Healing Through Acupuncture; Cynthia Carey, JD, DC
4. Spirituality and Healing; Rev. Katherine Norvell
4:00pm - 5:00pm Workshop Sessions 4
1.The Vegetarian Option: Is it right for you?; James Gibson, MD., Retired
2. The Positive Truth in Cancer: Maintaining Healthy Relationships Through Communication; Eva Grayzel
3. Oxidated Stress and Chronic Disease: Understanding the Link; Armando Gonzalez-Stuart, PhD
4. Getting your Legal Stuff up to Snuff; Stephanie Townsend Allala