Watch a video of an example NDM shot at PNTC earlier this summer. This is a video of the Basic/Advanced match and not the Championship Level.
Note: There are three different levels of the National Defense Match. This registration is for the "Championship Leve.l" The course of fire is designed for the intermediate to experienced level AR shooter. Course of fire for the "Championship Level" NMD are from 3 to 600 yards and take place in natural terrain.
For this match, the NRA, with coverage provided by American Rifleman and NRA Publications, is officially covering all three levels of the "National Defense Match" at PNTC on Sat Oct 12th & Sun Oct 13th. The basic & advanced matches begin at 9AM each Saturday and the Championship Level starts at 11AM Sunday Oct 13th 2013 and is held at PNTC HQ beginning at 10AM! Registration for all events begins one hour before match start time!
Note Key Safety Rules For this Match:
In addition to safety rules required by the NRA, PNTC requires that all competitors:
- Attend the NRA Safety Brief conducted prior to the event.
- Properly check in at PNTC HQ and receive wristband and scoresheet.
- Upon arrival, keep rifles cased! Ensure actions are open, and chamber flags are inserted prior to arrival. If you do not have a chamber flag, PNTC has these for a small fee. Ensure this chamber flag is inserted into the rifle's chamber prior to arriving at the range area.
- DO NOT uncase firearms and or handle firearms at your vehicle or off the firing line. A PNTC Range Officer will give you the command to bring your firearm to a "Safe Area" for unbagging and proper clearing and safety inspection.
- Children under 10 years of age are not permitted to attend this event.
- No alcohol, drugs, intoxicated people, felons or any person who is not permitted by law to use or operate firearms may attend this or other events at PNTC.
- No steel core, tracer or armor piercing ammunition may be used. If a magnet sticks to your bullet it may NOT be used in this competition.
- PNTC reserves the right to remove any person for unsafe and or inappropriate behavior at any time.
Note: PNTC has .223 & 308 ammunition for sale for shooters in this event. Ammunition may be purchased online when registering. Also, pre-payment to register for and shoot in this match is required.
NDM Overview - The NRA National Defense Match (NDM) is a program of shooting events with various levels designed to develop and test defensive rifle skills with AR-15s and other modern general purpose semi-automatic, detachable magazine rifles. NDMs are designed for people of nearly all skill levels, and there are categories of participation for rifles with iron sights and optics, with any safe trigger and a manually operated mechanical safety, regardless of barrel length. They’re intended to pose marksmanship and rifle handling challenges that relate to what a person might expect to encounter in a defensive situation, including firing and reloading in a variety of positions, from different distances, testing both the accuracy and the speed of shots.
Note: Shooters may advance from the basic level by various means which will be discussed when the official NDM rulebook is published in 2014. NDM matches at various levels will likely be held throughout the United States in 2014. Shooters are NOT required to be an NRA member to participate in their initial NDM at PNTC. Of course PNTC asks - "HOW CAN YOU NOT BE A MEMBER???"
Join The NRA NOW: http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR026279
NDM Match Level Descriptions & Requirements
NRA NDM Championship Level: Match Description - Official NRA RSO's and Match Directors will conduct this match. It is intended for shooters who are experienced in action-type rifle competitions and able to engage targets from 3 yards out to 600 yards. In this event, there will be multiple stages set in natural terrain on the PNTC Frontier Range. Shooters will be broken down into squads supervised by and "NDM RO." Shooters will be explained the course of fire. Scoring will be based on time plus penalties. All stages’ totals will be added together to determine an overall match time total per shooter.
NRA NDM Championship Level Match Prerequisite, Firearm, and Overall Gear Requirements: All shooters must be safe and experienced rifle shooters. Shooters must
also use a semi-automatic, detachable magazine rifle, (cartridge is limited to .30 cal maximum and .223 minimum). Other required items: Chamber Flag, Sling, 4 magazines, 140 rounds of ammunition. It is advisable to bring 200 rounds. Proper footgear and clothing suitable for moving through a wooded area on uneven terrain is required.
Date & Time: Sunday 10AM - 4PM. Registration opens at 10AM. Shooting starts at 11AM. Please arrive a minimum of 45 minutes prior to start time.
Cost: NDM Championship Level Match Fee: $50 PNTC Members $60 Non-Members