DESCRIPTION - The National "D" license is a 36 to 40-hour course designed for the experienced coach who has already earned a National "E" license. The focus of this course is to improve a coaches ability to positively influence individual players and teams.
What are the key components of the "D" license course?
• Develop the core coaching competencies necessary to effectively teach the 13-14 year old athlete and team.
• Understand the characteristics and needs of an athlete in the Intermediate Stage of U.S. Soccer's Athlete
• Build on the foundation of knowledge and experience in order to proceed through the sequence of coaching
What are the specific target outcomes of the course?
• Teach the Principles of Play in a training environment. (7v7 to 9v9).
• Apply the Principles of Play to functional group roles in a full team system.
• Plan a sequence of training and weekly cycles to complete a season plan.
The “D” license course is broken into four phases:
I. Preparation Phase
- Candidates are required to complete five (5) assigned training sessions (see session topics below).
II. Instructional Phase (14 to 18 hrs.)
- Candidates meet face-to-face with instructors at a course.
III. Deliberate Practice Phase
- Candidates are required to complete five (5) assigned training sessions over a minimum of 10 weeks. It is expected that
the sessions be evenly distributed through the 10 week period.
- Candidates will be assigned the training sessions during the Instructional phase.
IV. Performance Review Phase (14 to 18 hrs.)
- Final on-field exam.
- Candidates have one full year following the completion of the deliberate practice phase to attend any performance review
phase to complete the “D” course.
• Candidates are required to view an online presentation and complete a series of questions on Concussion Awareness.
The assignment must be completed prior to the candidate receiving their final course results.
• Visit this link to complete the online assignment.
• Candidates are not required to print a certificate of completion.
• A report will be automatically sent to U.S. Soccer and the State Association host upon completion.
“D” License Candidate Guidebooks
• Download - “D” License Candidate Guidebook – English
• Download - “D” License Candidate Guidebook – Spanish
• Download - “D” License Goalkeeping Guidebook – English
• Download - “D” License Goalkeeping Guidebook – Spanish
*The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal.
U.S. Soccer Curriculum
• Learn more about the U.S. Soccer Curriculum - More Info