Resolving Disputes With Companies from Asia: What is the Best Approach?
January 22, 2016
University of California
Hastings College of Law
Conference Program Abstract
View Full Program Information (PDF)
9:00 - 10:00 a.m.
Registration and Networking
- John W. Garman, FCIarb, Chair, North American Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Frank H. Wu, Chancellor and Dean, UC Hastings College of Law
10:15 - 10:45 a.m.
Dispute Resolution in Asia: Recent Developments and Future Directions
- Datuk Professor Sundra Rajoo, FCIArb, Chartered Arbitrator; President of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; Director of the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration; Past President, Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Choosing the Place of Arbitration, Arbitral Institution, and Governing Law
Moderator: Grant L. Kim, FCIArb, Chair, Northern California Chapter of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; Morrison & Foerster LLP, San Francisco
- Steven K. Andersen, Vice President, International Development,International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- Khong Cheng-Yee, Director and Counsel, Asia Office of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Hong Kong
- Benjamin Hughes, FCIArb, Associate Professor, Seoul National UniversitySchool of Law, Seoul; Former Chair, Korea Chapter of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Lawrence Schaner, FCIArb, Jenner & Block, Chicago
12:00 - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch with Keynote Speaker
Teresa Cheng, Senior Counsel, FCIArb, Chartered Arbitrator and Chartered Engineer, Des Voeux Chambers, Hong Kong; Chair, Hong Kong InternationalArbitration Centre; Past President, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Interviewed by Ambassador (r.)David Huebner, FCIArb, Chair, Southern California Chapter of the Chartered Institute; Adjunct Professor, UCLA School of Law; Arnold & Porter LLP, Los Angeles
2:45 - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 - 4:15 p.m.
In-House Counsel Perspectives on International Arbitration andOther Dispute Resolution Mechanisms
Moderator: Jeff Benz, FCIArb, Benz ADR, Los Angeles
- Katherine Hope Gurun, JAMS Mediator and Arbitrator; Former General Counsel and Senior Vice President, Bechtel Corporation
- Lester Schiefelbein, FCIArb, Schiefelbein Global Dispute Resolution; Former General Counsel, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
- Gregory Wajnowski, Legal Counsel, General Electric
- Mark LeHocky, Judicate West Mediator and Director of Commercial Arbitration; Former General Counsel and SVP, Ross Stores, Inc. and Dreyer's, Inc.
4:15 - 4:30 p.m.
4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Enforcement of Arbitral Awards and Court Judgments
Moderator: Anton Ware, Arnold & Porter LLP, San Francisco; Adjunct Professor, UC Hastings College of the Law
- Christopher Lau, SC, FCIArb, Chartered Arbitrator, Singapore
- Susan Munro, MCIArb, Managing Partner Beijing Office,Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Beijing
- Hiroyuki Tezuka, Nishimura & Asahi, Tokyo
5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Closing Reception: Hastings Skyroom, 100 McAllister Street
Optional Post Conference Dinner: Osha Thai, Embarcadero 4, Embarcadero Center
6.0 HOURS MCLE CREDIT PENDING