2016/17 Audition Days are:
*Our December 9th Audition Date is now Filled.
*Our February 18th and 20th and 25th Audition Dates are now filled.This audition application is for Undergraduate Students and Transfer students only.If you are a prospective graduate student, please click here.
If you are only interested in playing singing in choir while at CSU (open to all students, regardless of major), those auditions take place before the first week of each semester. Information on auditioning for Choirs can be found here.
Prospective first-year voice majors in Vocal Performance, Music Education, Music Therapy and Bachelor of Arts will demonstrate vocal technique as well as musical skills.
1. Perform two prepared vocal solos from memory. (See repertoire suggestions below.) A piano accompanist will be provided. Bring sheet music in the key you are singing.
2. Demonstrate musical skills through a brief music-reading exam (note names, key signature, time signatures, etc.), melodic sight-reading, rhythmic sight-reading, aural recall (tonal memory), and minimal piano proficiency (playing a single line vocal melody on the piano).
1. One art song or aria* in Italian or English
2. A second art song or aria in English, Italian, German, French, or Spanish.
(One musical theater, spiritual, or folk song selection may be substituted for either song).
Solos are comparable to songs that would be prepared and memorized for high school All-State Choir auditions and solo/ensemble competitions. Prepare two contrasting selections.
Professional dress is recommended: skirts/dresses/dressy slacks for women; dress slacks/dress shirt for men. Please, no jeans, T-shirts, or sneakers.
Transfer Student Auditions:
1. Perform two prepared vocal solos or arias from memory, appropriate to your training and experience. A piano accompanist will be provided. Bring sheet music in the key you are singing. Bring a performance resume and/or repertoire list if you have one.
2. Demonstrate musical skills as requested.
*Opera arias from the 19th century (Puccini, Verdi etc.) are discouraged for freshman singers. Opera or oratorio arias from the 17th and 18th century are appropriate (Handel, Caldara, Scarlatti, Bach etc.)
Suggested Repertoire - selections from: