Safety at Sea Seminars in Annapolis
Please join us April 1st and 2nd for the 38th annual Safety at Sea Seminar in Annapolis.
The 2017 US Naval Academy Safety at Sea Seminar, to be held on April 1 & 2, 2017, will focus on offshore as well as inshore safety issues, with programs for cruising and racing sailors. The live on the water demonstrations and man overboard rescues are unmatched in this country. The Safety at Sea Seminar in Annapolis is in its 38th year and will be held in Alumni Hall at the Naval Academy.
The course offers the following options and certification:
- NOW FULL - World Sailing Certificate (ISAF) the Offshore Personal Safety Course, valid for 5 years, is available to a limited number of attendees (the first 80 to enroll) and the cost is $325.
- A US Sailing Certificate, valid for 5 years, can be obtained by attending Saturday only. The course is a full day and the cost is $175. (This is the certificate currently required by the Bermuda Race.)
- A Cruising Track is available as a 2 day seminar. Saturday’s course is the same as above, Sunday includes a more in-depth look at safely cruising with the option of ‘Interactive’ – small group discussion sessions or ‘Practical’ – in pool life raft and safety equipment training. While this course is labeled 'cruising' there is a lot to be gained for the 'round-the-buoy' racing sailor as well. The cost is $225 for this two-day option.
On Saturday all training includes:
- Damage Control,
- Care and Maintenance of Safety Equipment, Weather Forecasting,
- Handling Heavy Weather,
- Emergency Medical
- MOB Prevention and Recovery
- USCG Communications and SAR
On Sunday training includes 3 options:
- The US Sailing prescribed World Sailing Certificate (NOW FULL) course for offshore racing sailors. Includes in-pool life raft boarding
- An Advanced Cruising Practical Training Course (includes in-pool life raft boarding)
- An Advanced Cruising Interactive Training Course for small group discussions with the experts on systems, weather, oceanography and cruise preparation.
For a full schedule including speakers and times see our website closer to the event.
Advanced reservations are encouraged. Fee includes morning coffee & lunch. US SAILING members are entitled to a $5.00 discount (enter code 'USSAIL' in 'discount code' space, your name will be verified with US Sailing for discount). No refunds after March 15, 2017. Please compete separate forms for all attendees . US SAILING Certificates are given for Day I attendance and are mailed from US Sailing a few weeks after the event. Due to security measures at the U. S. Naval Academy, please provide complete contact information.