Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre
604-709-5661 EXT 221
Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre 2772 East Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5M 1Y8 Driving Directions
Is Time-Out Outdated?
Saturday February 18, 2017
Time: 10:30 am – 3:00 pm 4 hours training
Fee: $65.00 FCC Fee: $50.00 (Promo Code)
Time-out or time-away is often used as a means to discipline children in child care. It is important to refine the understanding of this technique and propose alternative ways of not only guiding the behavior but also to focus on understanding the triggers and elements that cause it.
Understanding the context of behavior will present educators with an alternative approach to guidance and at the same time offer the child an array of problem solving skills, including the ability to self-regulate over time. Even though sometimes to sit in solitude for a few moments is all a child needs to switch gears labeling it as time-out will tend to impose “self-control”. This lacks key understanding of behavior challenges rather than an opportunity to learn how to cope with frustration and modify undesired behavior.
- To discuss prevalent behavior misconceptions in both children and adults.
- To explore relevant theories that inform educator’s guidance approaches.
- To recognize alternative ways of modeling and helping children with their own self-regulatory skills.
Suitable for all early learning child care professionals working with children of any age, instructors and administrators.
Presenter: Ana Vojnovic. ECE, I/T, SN. Ana is also a conceptual artist currently studying Interior Design at BCIT, with a background in philosophy, education and visual arts. She engages in research-based practice that focuses on investigating design of educational spaces and its impact on learning based dynamics and behavior.
Registration starts: November 1, 2016
- Bring a bag lunch (1/2 hour lunch)
Please mark this date on your calendar, as we will not send a reminder.
Refund and Cancellation Policy:
- Requests for cancellations must be received at least 3 business days prior to the workshop date to get a refund, minus any Administration Fees.
- All refunds are subject to a $10 Administration Fee.
- No monies will be refunded or credits offered once the workshop or course starts.
- Westcoast may cancel a workshop or course at any time. Registrants will be notified and receive a full refund.
- By submitting this online participants declare they have read, understood and agree with this policy.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to check if certificates of participation will be accepted by the ECE Registry. http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/ece/ phone 1-888-338-6622 email firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop description and objectives and make sure the training selected is suitable to their learning needs. If you have a question, call us before registering.
- Only Vancouver CCRR Registered LNRs or Vancouver Licensed Family Child Care Providers qualify to pay the FCC Fee and will need a Promo Code received by email to register. Be sure to use this Promo Code when registering, as no fee adjustments can be made after registration is confirmed.
- Seats are limited. Registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Payment must be made at time of registration to reserve your seat.
- Mark dates on your calendar. We will not send reminders.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to presenter and participants.
- Latecomers who arrive after 15 minutes may not be admitted and will not receive a certificate.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop time. Please make child care arrangements.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop to receive a certificate of participation, which will be provided at the end.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop date.
- These are non-credit workshops (cannot be applied towards the completion of a certificate, diploma or degree).
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- Westcoast encourages a scent free environment.
Note: If the workshop is full, you can phone us to be placed on the wait list.