Smathers Library (East) - Room 100George A. Smathers Libraries University of Florida
1508 Union Road
Gainesville, FL 32601 Driving Directions
UF offers paid parking on campus at the Visitor Welcome Center in the Reitz Union. Other, external paid parking options are also available.
UF Campus Map
Expert Series: Guerilla Branding - Making Your Library Indispensable (04/20/17)
This Expert Series event is an interactive workshop that guides attendees through a day of learning on how to build ties to your community through disciplined but highly creative strategies and tactics. As a participant, you will receive a guerilla outreach guide and work both individually and in groups to begin brainstorming issues, strategies and tactics. Throughout the day, NYU professor and Forbes contributor David Vinjamuri will provide insights, best practices and tools to help you think clearly about your library’s current situation and begin to identify the creative strategies and programs that will propel your organization toward its goals.
1. GUERILLA BRANDING: BUILDING AN INDISPENSABLE BRAND
- Crafting a strategy to build your brand
- Steps in the process of completing a strategic plan
- The importance of strategy before tactics
2. GUERILLA BRANDING PART 1: Inside the Library
- Space and purpose: what does your library say to visitors?
- Recalibrating your event strategy for maximum impact
- 10 tips for guerilla outreach inside the library.
- Exercises: i. Group discussion: what you’ve seen and done; ii. Worksheet: 5 guerilla tactics inside your library
Break or Lunch
3. GUERILLA BRANDING PART 2: Outside The Library
- Moving outside the library – and beyond your library regulars
- ABCs of low-budget branding in a community
- Smarter events and partnering strategies
- 10 idea starters for outside the library community engagement
- Exercise: i. Plan A Pop-Up: Designing a Pop-Up for the Summer
Break or Lunch
4. GUERILLA BRANDING PART 3 – SOCIAL MEDIA
- Facebook – 10 tips ii.
- Should I tweet? Things to know about Twitter.
- Visual Social Media: Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube
- Should my library have a podcast or a blog?
- 10 awesome guerilla outreach tactics for social media
- Exercise: Worktables: discussions by platform (FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc)
8. WORK SESSION - BUILDING YOUR GUERILLA BRAND PLAN
- Exercise:Turn your discussions and thoughts into a real plan: develop a strategy and then plan tactics for inside the library, outside the library and online
Expert Facilitator: David Vinjamuri, President, ThirdWay Brand Trainers
The founder of ThirdWay Brand Trainers, David has over two decades of marketing and management experience. He started his marketing career at Johnson & Johnson where he was a brand manager and new products director. David later worked in marketing for Coca-Cola and led a marketing acquisitions unit for the online advertising company DoubleClick and subsequently led marketing at two smaller companies. David is a graduate of Swarthmore College and the Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy, where he was a Citicorp Walter Wriston Fellow.
David also teaches branding and social media in the Master of Science in Integrated Marketing program at New York University. David has taught at NYU for ten years.
David writes the “Brand Truth” column online for Forbes. He has been quoted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, US News & World Report, Investor’s Business Daily and appeared on BBC World, Fox Business News, MSNBC and Bloomberg TV. David speaks widely and has addressed audiences from Munich to Singapore and has been the featured guest lecturer on the Queen Mary 2, and spoken at conferences from the American Library to American Marketing Association meetings. Publisher’s Weekly called David’s book: Accidental Branding: How Ordinary People Build Extraordinary Brands, “compelling” with “a lively flavor that goes down better than any list of dry strategies.”
Cost: NEFLIN classes are free of charge for Florida library staff. Registration is required for all classes and NEFLIN members get priority.
NEFLIN Expert Series 2017 has been funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services.