Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre
604-709-5661 EXT 221
Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre 2772 East Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5M 1Y8 Driving Directions
Rethinking Weapon Play: An Example of Reflective Practice
Wednesday May 3, 2017
Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm 2 hours training
Fee: $35.00 FCC Fee: $20.00 (Promo Code)
This workshop will present a story of how our 3-5 program struggled with how to handle weapon play, and the evolution of our policies and principles around this type of play. It details the process we took, and our use of reflective practice in handling this complex issue. Pedagogical documentation on the weapon-play in our program and educator reflections will be included in the presentation.
- To appreciate what reflective practice looks like, and how it can benefit your program.
- To explore how and why our program went from a zero-tolerance approach to a more open approach to weapon play and what that evolution looked like.
- To engage in reflection and discussion on the motivations, benefits and concerns around weapon play and how our program is currently engaging with weapon play.
Suitable for novice and intermediate early learning child care professionals working with preschool and school age children, including children with extra support needs, parents, adult instructors and administrators.
Presenter: Rebecca Sung. Rebecca has been an ECE with SFU Childcare for the past 3 years. She has a passion for outdoor learning, and completed a practicum at a Forest Kindergarten in Scotland. She has participated in the Community Facilitators Project with UVIC for two years, and has previously presented at Capilano University’s Leading the Way conference.
Registration starts: February 1, 2017
Please mark this date on your calendar, as we will not send a reminder.
Refund and Cancellation Policy:
- Requests for cancellations must be received at least 3 business days prior to the workshop date to get a refund, minus any Administration Fees.
- All refunds are subject to a $10 Administration Fee.
- No monies will be refunded or credits offered once the workshop or course starts.
- Westcoast may cancel a workshop or course at any time. Registrants will be notified and receive a full refund.
- By submitting this online participants declare they have read, understood and agree with this policy.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to check if certificates of participation will be accepted by the ECE Registry. http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/ece/ phone 1-888-338-6622 email firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop description and objectives and make sure the training selected is suitable to their learning needs. If you have a question, call us before registering.
- Only Vancouver CCRR Registered LNRs or Vancouver Licensed Family Child Care Providers qualify to pay the FCC Fee and will need a Promo Code received by email to register. Be sure to use this Promo Code when registering, as no fee adjustments can be made after registration is confirmed.
- Seats are limited. Registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Payment must be made at time of registration to reserve your seat.
- Mark dates on your calendar. We will not send reminders.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to presenter and participants.
- Latecomers who arrive after 15 minutes may not be admitted and will not receive a certificate.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop time. Please make child care arrangements.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop to receive a certificate of participation, which will be provided at the end.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop date.
- These are non-credit workshops (cannot be applied towards the completion of a certificate, diploma or degree).
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- Westcoast encourages a scent free environment.
Note: If the workshop is full, you can phone us to be placed on the wait list.