Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre
604-709-5661 EXT 221
Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre 2772 East Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5M 1Y8 Driving Directions
Indigenous Education and Early Childhood: Past, Present and The Way Forward
Saturday June 3, 2017
Time: 10:00 am – 3:30 pm 5 hours training
Fee: $80.00 FCC Fee: $65.00 (Promo Code)
Through discussion and hands-on activities, this workshop will provide participants with a history of Indigenous education in Canada, Residential Schools and effects on early learners, as well as an overview of current issues in Indigenous education with discussions on how to move forward and incorporate the Truth and Reconciliation Committee's calls to action. With the new BC curriculum it is important for our early learners to have a strong understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing.
- To learn about the history of Indigenous education in Canada.
- To recognize the intergenerational effects of residential schools and the impact on learning.
- To understand the Truth and Reconciliation recommendations and how to apply them in early childhood education settings.
- To explore hands-on activities.
Suitable for students, novice, intermediate and experienced early learning child care professionals working with infant/toddler, preschool and school age children, including children with extra support needs, parents, adult instructors and administrators.
Presenter: Jennifer Anaquod. Jennifer is an Indigenous educator who has been working in early childhood education for over 15 years. Her research, work and life's passion is to promote conversations among educators about Indigenous ways of knowing and learning and the history of Indigenous education in Canada.
Registration starts: February 1, 2017
- Bring a bag lunch (1/2 hour lunch)
Please mark this date on your calendar, as we will not send a reminder.
Refund and Cancellation Policy:
- Requests for cancellations must be received at least 3 business days prior to the workshop date to get a refund, minus any Administration Fees.
- All refunds are subject to a $10 Administration Fee.
- No monies will be refunded or credits offered once the workshop or course starts.
- Westcoast may cancel a workshop or course at any time. Registrants will be notified and receive a full refund.
- By submitting this online participants declare they have read, understood and agree with this policy.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to check if certificates of participation will be accepted by the ECE Registry. http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/ece/ phone 1-888-338-6622 email firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop description and objectives and make sure the training selected is suitable to their learning needs. If you have a question, call us before registering.
- Only Vancouver CCRR Registered LNRs or Vancouver Licensed Family Child Care Providers qualify to pay the FCC Fee and will need a Promo Code received by email to register. Be sure to use this Promo Code when registering, as no fee adjustments can be made after registration is confirmed.
- Seats are limited. Registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Payment must be made at time of registration to reserve your seat.
- Mark dates on your calendar. We will not send reminders.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to presenter and participants.
- Latecomers who arrive after 15 minutes may not be admitted and will not receive a certificate.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop time. Please make child care arrangements.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop to receive a certificate of participation, which will be provided at the end.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop date.
- These are non-credit workshops (cannot be applied towards the completion of a certificate, diploma or degree).
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- Westcoast encourages a scent free environment.
Note: If the workshop is full, you can phone us to be placed on the wait list.