Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre
604-709-5661 EXT 221
Westcoast Child Care Resource Centre 2772 East Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5M 1Y8 Driving Directions
Being an Approachable Adult: Talking with Young Children About Sex and Gender
Wednesday June 7, 2017
Time: 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm 3 hours training
Fee: $50.00 FCC Fee: $35.00 (Promo Code)
Sexual Health Education attempts to teach health, science and safety to children of all ages. The most important and meaningful person to talk about this complex subject is the caregiver or parent. Research says the earlier the better for caregivers and their child/ren to build a safe place to discuss this personal and sensitive topic. A child's health and safety are the key reasons sex education is important in the early years. You will find that there are many other reasons to teach and talk about sex with young children, now and in the future. This workshop helps educators discuss age appropriate sex education in different environments.
- To increase comfort and competency with teaching and talking about sexuality, bodies, gender and boundaries.
- To be able to coach and counsel children on appropriate body science words, boundaries and public vs. private behaviours and language.
Suitable for students, novice and intermediate early learning child care professionals working with infant/toddler, preschool and school age children, including children with extra support needs, parents, adult instructors and administrators.
Presenter: Julia Saunders, Med. Julia is a certified coach and counsellor in Sexuality, Family Life and Relationships and designs and delivers innovative and engaging Sexual Health Education workshops for parents and professionals. She has recently published an empowerment guidebook for parents and caregivers to support them in talking with their children aged 0-5 about bodies, boundaries, consent, gender and other important topics of development.
Registration starts: February 1, 2017
Please mark this date on your calendar, as we will not send a reminder.
Refund and Cancellation Policy:
- Requests for cancellations must be received at least 3 business days prior to the workshop date to get a refund, minus any Administration Fees.
- All refunds are subject to a $10 Administration Fee.
- No monies will be refunded or credits offered once the workshop or course starts.
- Westcoast may cancel a workshop or course at any time. Registrants will be notified and receive a full refund.
- By submitting this online participants declare they have read, understood and agree with this policy.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to check if certificates of participation will be accepted by the ECE Registry. http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/ece/ phone 1-888-338-6622 email email@example.com
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop description and objectives and make sure the training selected is suitable to their learning needs. If you have a question, call us before registering.
- Only Vancouver CCRR Registered LNRs or Vancouver Licensed Family Child Care Providers qualify to pay the FCC Fee and will need a Promo Code received by email to register. Be sure to use this Promo Code when registering, as no fee adjustments can be made after registration is confirmed.
- Seats are limited. Registrations are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Payment must be made at time of registration to reserve your seat.
- Mark dates on your calendar. We will not send reminders.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to presenter and participants.
- Latecomers who arrive after 15 minutes may not be admitted and will not receive a certificate.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop time. Please make child care arrangements.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop to receive a certificate of participation, which will be provided at the end.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop date.
- These are non-credit workshops (cannot be applied towards the completion of a certificate, diploma or degree).
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- Westcoast encourages a scent free environment.
Note: If the workshop is full, you can phone us to be placed on the wait list.