5 DAY PARTICIPATION WORKSHOP
Alessandro Gallo was born in 1974 in Genoa, Italy and is now based in Helena, Montana. After studying Law at the University of Genoa, Gallo took a foundation course at Saint Martin’s College of Art in London followed by a BA at Chelsea School of Art, graduating in 2002. While studying painting, he began experimenting with digital photography, manipulating images to create scenes of animals in familiar city settings. By 2005, he decided to give his creatures a physical presence by sculpting them from clay. Gallo and his anthropomorphic characters have received widespread popularity and have been featured in the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London and the 54th Venice Biennale in 2011. In 2012, he was awarded a first place grant from the Virginia A. Groot Foundation. In 2014 and 2016 he had solo shows at the Jonathan Levine Gallery in New York.
The 5 Day workshop will include:
- Designing the piece: choosing the posture of the figure, considering body language and the meaning of what we wear.
- Preparatory work: digital photographs for sketches and reference. Basic Photography and basic Photoshop tools.
- Hand building: Creating rough solid volumes according to the measurements taken. Building a structure to support the clay.
- Defining and shaping: individuating the lines of the posture, with special attention to the balance in heads and shoulders, shaping the volumes, emphasizing the features of the figure, working on expression. Particular attention to clothes and folds.
- Bringing gradually the figure to sharpness in all of his parts.
- Hollowing the solid piece. Cutting, scooping out, scoring, using slip and putting everything back together.
- Refining and finishing. The importance of details as narrative information.
- Drying and bisque firing.
- Finishing. Basic notions of color theory, watercolors, acrylics and varnish, epoxy and glues.
- Base and accessories. Combining different materials with clay.
10:00am - 5:00pm Daily with a lunch break from 1:00 - 2:00pm
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE WORKSHOP OUTLINE/AGENDA
ABOUT THE ARTIST XXXXXXXX INSTAGRAM XXXXXXX FACEBOOK XXX
The workshop will be limited to 12 participants, on a first come, first served basis with a preference given to our members.
Workshop fee - Member: $550.00
$600 after Monday, May 1, 2017
Event fee - Non-Member: $600.00
$650.00 after Monday, May 1, 2017
Event fee - w/ New Membership: $585.00
$635.00 after Monday, May 1, 2017