NADRA Events Happening at ECBC 2017 (East Coast Builders Conference)
Deck Evaluation Certification Class: May 4th, 2017 - 8:00am - 12:00pm
NADRA's Networking Event: May 4th, 2017 - 4:00pm - 6:00pm
East Coast Builders Conference Exhibit Hall: May 4th and 5th, 2017 from 10:00am - 5:00pm
Agenda: Subject to change
May 4th, 2017:
- 8:00am - 12:00am: Deck Evaluation Certification Class, Instructor: Jim Mailey –(short break included) (Click "Register Now" to sign up for the class)
- 12:15pm: Testing
- 12:45pm - 3:45pm: Visit Exhibit Hall
- 4:00pm - 6:00pm: NADRA Event. Appetizers provided. Cash bar open. *Registration required. (Click "Register Now" to sign up for this open networking event)
- Atlanta Braves Game directly following NADRA's Networking Event (Register for the show and braves game here.) Please select the ticket option for the game. Don't wait! Tickets are going fast. Get free exhibit hall entry with code "NADRA2017". Be sure to check off "NADRA" as your association.
Join us on Thursday, May 4th, 2017 at 4:00pm for NADRA's Networking Event. Come socialize with your fellow outdoor living professionals. All are welcome; from deck builders to inspectors, pool and spa professionals, fence, patio and paver installers, engineers and architects, manufacturers, distributors, suppliers and dealers, as well as, industry service providers. Let's get together & plan for the growth and future of Southeast Region of NADRA. Appetizers will be served and a cash bar will be open.
May 5th, 2017:
- 8:30am - 9:30am: Outdoor Living Upgrades, Seminar Presented by the Southeast Regional Division of the North American Deck and Railing Association.
- 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Expo Hall Open
Sponsorship Opportunities: Click "Register Now" to complete your sponsorship
Main Sponsor - $750:
- Top tier logo placement and appropriate signage
- Website presence on event page and emails
- Signage and Handouts in NADRA booth at the show
- Podium recognition
- 2 minute Speaking opportunity at event
About The Class:
Properly constructed outdoor living structures, built using quality materials designed for use outdoors and maintained on a consistent yearly basis, can lead to many years of enjoyment. Being professionals in the industry require continued education on these materials and construction paractices. You will be positioned to greatly help reduce deck, stair and railing failures - and in doing so, help prevent injuries and save lives. We hope you will join the NADRA roster and earn your certification today.
This program will allow industry professionals to properly evaluate decks, stairs and railings using the NADRA Deck Evaluation checklist. The NADRA Deck Evaluation checklist has been developed specifically for industry professionals as a comprehensive tool to be used to properly assess the safety issues of a deck. After the program the professional will understand how to analyze the following deck components and issues and more:
- Footings and Posts
- Joist Connections
- Ledger Connections
- Deck Boards
- Handrail Assemblies and Guards
- Recognize proper and improper fasteners
- Assess hardware or material corrosion
- Review of the safety standards of all (decks, stairs, guards) structures
You may obtain your certification and / or (if you're an ASHI member) your 4.0 ASHI credits by taking this certifcation class. In order to do this, you must register. If you are not a current NADRA member, but would like to join, please register here for the class (at the member rate) and call the office to become a member. Our direct line is: 215-679-4884. Thank you!
- Attend class + Certification - for CURRENT NADRA Members - $99 - Attend the class + earn your certification. This option is for current NADRA members.
- Attend class + Certification - No NADRA Membership - $499.00 Attend the class + earn your certification - this option does not include NADRA membership.
What to Bring:
Please print the Deck Evaluation Checklist ahead of time and bring with you to class.
Select the "Register Now" button at the bottom of this page to begin the easy online registration process.
About the Instructor:
Jim Mailey, Training Manager, Simpson Strong-Tie
Jim Mailey is the Midwest, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic market training manager for Simpson Strong-Tie
- Jim is considered an expert in safe, outdoor wood deck construction and is an advisor on structural issues for the North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA).
- Since joining Simpson Strong-Tie in 1992, Jim has given hundreds of presentations to more than 25,000 design professionals, building officials, home inspectors, builders, contractors and dealers.
- His additional programs, entitled “Deck and Porch Framing Connections” and “Continuous Load Path-Wood Framed Structures” review the correct and incorrect structural methods for building a deck or home, show why some commonly accepted practices should not be used and provides informative tips that the novice to the most experienced student will find useful.
- He has been doing education to home inspectors since 1998 and was the 1st person to provide a complete program on what to look for on a deck to home inspectors at InspectionWorld in New Orleans in 2008. Additionally, he was the 1st person to provide deck education to contractors for NADRA.
- He has written articles about deck safety for the ASHI Reporter and NAHI Forum home inspector publications and has written for ThisIsCarpentry about deck construction. He has been quoted in numerous contractor magazines and internet articles about deck safety.
- Jim earned a B.A. in Biology from Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania