WhereRutgers EcoComplex 1200 Florence-Columbus Rd
Bordentown, NJ 08505-4200 Driving Directions
How Your Green Purchasing Decisions Impact Your Bottom Line and Air Quality
This workshop will help participants to understand various criteria they should consider when purchasing fuels, and alternative vehicles. Sustainable Jersey’s “Green Purchasing” policies for Fuel Purchases and Replacement Vehicles will be covered.
The impacts of particulate matter on human health will also be discussed, putting a “human face” on the purchasing decisions of municipalities.
Participants will also lean about NJ DEP’s Diesel Retrofit Program and funding available for municipalities to retrofit their vehicles.
For a copy of the complete Agenda, visit www.sustainablejersey.com "News Events and Trainings"
Green Purchasing Requirements for Fuels
- Rob Schell, NJ DEP, Division of Air Quality, Bureau of Mobile Sources will talk about different types of fuels and how/why to select:
- Fuel Efficiency
- Energy Security
- Fewer particulates (less carbon)
- Peter Montague, Environmental Research Foundation will talk about particulate matter impacts on air quality and human health
- Adopting a Policy for Fuel Purchases (How can municipalities do this? What should be included?)
- As part of the Green Purchasing Policy – does the municipality include fuel goals?
- Look at different streams of purchasing
- Gasoline Inspection Program
- State requirements – 5 year initial exemption and then every two thereafter – given the number of miles put on municipal vehicles, could we incent them to do more frequent inspections?
- Tony Iavarone, Supervisor, Mandatory Diesel Retrofit Program, will discuss the NJ DEP’s Diesel Retrofit Program
- This program also requires an inventory to determine how to comply with the retrofit requirements (retrofit, retire, etc.)
- DEP funds mandatory retrofits
Green Purchasing for Replacement Vehicles
- Fleet Inventory should include fuel efficiency goals and also a policy for replacing vehicles
Approved for 3 CEU credits:
- Municipal and County Finance Officers – Financial and Debt Management
- Certified Public Works Managers – Management
- Registered Municipal Clerks -- Finance
- Qualified Purchasing Agents – for Procurement Procedures